{All About Mommy} Jenny from Jenny Collier Blog

Hi everyone!  I'm Jenny Collier.  I blog at www.jennycollier.com and am a contributor at www.everydaycheer.com.  I am Mom to Hudson (5) and Ella (4).  And I am so honored to be a part of Jennifer's series!


I am a former photographer and now teach a photography class for moms called Mamarazzi of Tulsa (and offer online options for those not in Oklahoma).  I feel, as Moms, it's so important for us to document our children's lives.  And do it in a way that truly tells the story of their childhood.  Not just the "smile and say cheese" moments.





I so am passionate not only about teaching other mamas...but about documenting my own kid's lives.  I want Hudson & Ella to look back on their childhood memories and be able to truly remember who they were and what they loved.  I wanted to share some of my favorite tips with you today:

1.  Use the camera you have with you -- Whether you have a digital SLR camera or just a cell phone camera.  While I would love to capture every single moment of my children's lives with my digital SLR....it just doesn't happen.  Cell phone cameras have come a long way and can capture beautiful shots given the right lighting and composition. 

2.  Think about what you'll want them to remember -- I recommend creating a list, once a month or so, of the things your child is into.  Their favorite clothing, favorite toys, their daily routine, etc.  And take some time to document it.  Those will be their favorite things to look back on as they start to remember.   

3.  Not just photos -- While photos can tell a great deal of things I also think it's important to document the milestones as well as funny things that they say and do.  I use an app called Momento and write myself a note immediately after they say something I know that I'll want to remember.  I love reading over the funny things that they've said.

4.  How will you keep these memories?  -- My favorite way to keep all of my photos and memories is with a personal blog turned into a book.  That means I keep a private blog (only seen by me) that I turn into a memory book each year using Blurb.  After creating 7 years of these books I find that they are my most treasured items.  They hold nearly every single memory that we have and I am so grateful for a beautiful way for me and my family to remember.  Even now, at 5, Hudson looks through my blog books that I create at year end and reminisces on moment's passed.  And that is what it's about.  



No matter how you keep these memories....it's important that you do so.  What is your favorite way to document your children's lives?
 
***********
Thank you so much, Jenny, for sharing these fantastic ideas! You've definitely inspired me! Isn't she just the best, y'all?! Jenny is one of the most talented bloggers I know and I couldn't have be more estactic to have her as a guest blogger for a day!
 
  

5 comments :

Jenny @ jennycollier.com said...

Thank you, Jen, for letting me share! I am honored that you asked me to do so. Xo.

hello erin said...

i love me some jenny! her pictures are always swoon worthy. . . and definitely inspire me to take better ones!!

Jessica Kessler said...

Wow! Beautiful pictures. I love your idea of taking your pictures and turning them into a book for each year. Such a great idea. I take so many pictures, but hadn't thought to do that.

Amanda | Kids and Cabernet said...

Great tips on how to treasure memories better with our kiddos :)

Courtney said...

What an awesome guest post!

I so want to make blog books from my past years of blogging- but when I "slurped" my blog into Blurb it turned into a HUGE HOT mess instantly. I didn't have the time or patience to sort it out so I just kind of gave up on it. Maybe I should try it again :/